Question: How Can You Tell If There Is Carbon Monoxide In Your House?

You can’t see or smell carbon monoxide gas, which makes it even more dangerous. Carbon monoxide can infiltrate your home without you ever knowing until symptoms strike.

The first symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:

  • Chest tightness or shortness of breath.
  • Tiredness.
  • Nausea.
  • Confusion.
  • Headaches.
  • Dizziness.

How do you know if there is carbon monoxide in your home?

Signs of a carbon monoxide leak in your house or home

Sooty or brownish-yellow stains around the leaking appliance. Stale, stuffy, or smelly air, like the smell of something burning or overheating. Soot, smoke, fumes, or back-draft in the house from a chimney, fireplace, or other fuel burning equipment.

How long does it take for carbon monoxide to clear?

Carbon monoxide has a half-life in a human body of about 5 hours. This means that if you are breathing fresh, carbon monoxide-free air, it will take five hours to get half the carbon monoxide out of your system. Then it will take another five hours to cut that level in half, and so on.

What can cause carbon monoxide in a home?

Causes. Household appliances, such as gas fires, boilers, central heating systems, water heaters, cookers, and open fires which use gas, oil, coal and wood may be possible sources of CO gas. It happens when the fuel does not burn fully. Running a car engine in an enclosed space can cause CO poisoning.

What does carbon monoxide feel like?

The most common symptoms of CO poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. CO symptoms are often described as “flu-like.” If you breathe in a lot of CO it can make you pass out or kill you.