To help encourage your child to let loose outside, we rounded up 25 creative ways they can enjoy the great outdoors—no plug required.
- Two words: Outdoor Twister.
- Turn your yard into a playground.
- Care for a caterpillar.
- Have a parade.
- Go for a post-dinner walk.
- Plant a food forest.
- Create a comfort station.
How do I get my kids to play more outside?
18 ways to get kids to go outside
- Tell them it’s okay to get wet, dirty, and messy.
- Organize an outdoor play date.
- Allow your kids to incorporate natural resources into play equipment.
- Set a timer for a maximum amount of screen time.
- Tell your children to go outside in the backyard and play.
- Plant a garden or flowers with your child.
Is it good for kids to go outside?
Builds physically healthier children.
Studies show children burn more calories outdoors, helping to prevent obesity and strengthen bones and muscles. Playing in the sun is a natural way to build up vitamin D in the body, which means stronger bones and less likelihood of developing chronic diseases.
What can you do outside with kids?
50 Fun Things to Do Outside With Kids as a Family
- Go for a walk. Set a timer to see how far you can walk in five minutes, 10, 20, or 30.
- Ride bikes.
- Fly kites.
- Blow bubbles.
- Play classic outdoor games such as Red Rover, Red Light Green Light, or Steal the Bacon.
- Host a scavenger hunt.
- Hula hoop.
- Roller skate.
Can a 7 year old play outside alone?
There you have it: most of you wait until your kids are seven years or older before letting them head outdoors alone.