11 Ways Schools Can Help Students Feel Safe in Challenging Times (en Español)
- Establish clear school policies and reinforce goals.
- Assess your school, classroom and self.
- Be public and purposeful about being inclusive.
- Encourage reporting.
- Be more approachable.
- Teach about bias.
- Involve parents, family and community members.
How can you make students feel safe in class?
- Rely on schedules, routines, and procedures.
- Maintain a clean, organized classroom.
- Be the same teacher yesterday, today, and tomorrow.
- Be kind.
- Protect your students from misbehavior.
- Don’t take misbehavior personally.
- Maintain a peaceful learning environment.
- A Safe Haven.
Why is it important for students to feel safe?
Why Is School Safety Important. Keeping schools safe allows children to look forward to being in an encouraging environment that promotes social and creative learning. Promoting school safety creates an open space for kids to explore, learn and grow.
Do students feel safe in school?
Studies show that when students feel unsafe at school, they are more likely to engage in risky behaviors and there is a negative effect on their test scores. While 66 percent of students feel safe in their classes, only 59 percent say they feel safe at school in general.