What do online predators do?
How do online predators operate?
These are some typical methods online predators use: Find kids through social networking, blogs, chat rooms (even monitored, kids chat rooms), instant messaging, e-mail, and other Web sites, often using information in their targets’ personal profiles.
How do you identify an online predator?
Method 1 Identifying the Warning Signs
- Learn common traits of predators. Many online predators are looking to sexually exploit children or teens.
- Understand grooming.
- Be wary of requests to meet.
- Watch out for flattery.
- Identify suspicious behavior.
- Look for changes in your child’s behavior.
How can we protect against online predators?
You can minimize the risk of a young person meeting an online predator with some simple steps:
- Consider When Your Child Can Go Online.
- Utilize Privacy Settings.
- Monitor and Guide Online Behavior.
- Monitor Messaging.
- Take Care of Photographs and Cameras.
- Place Computer in a Common Area.
- Keep Screen Names Anonymous.
Are online predators dangerous?
Unfortunately, email, social networking, chat rooms and instant messaging expose kids to online relationships that may be harmful and can turn dangerous when online predators are involved.