10 Ways to Stop Criminals from Choosing Your Home
- Keep It Lit. Lights discourage home break-ins for two obvious reasons.
- Use Radio and TV.
- Fortify Your Doors.
- Guard Your Windows.
- Lock Away Helpful Objects.
- Don’t Stash a Key.
- Prevent Outdoor Hiding.
- Maintain Your Property.
How do you deter burglars?
These are the favored methods commonly referenced by security experts and homeowners.
- Use Deadbolt Locks.
- Have Neighbors Check On Home.
- Use Keyed Window Locks.
- Put Your Indoor Lights On Timers.
- Vary Your Schedule.
- Install Front gates.
- Keep Your Property Well Lit.
- Don’t Talk Openly About Your Purchases.
Do security cameras deter criminals?
Security cameras are undoubtedly an effective burglar/theft deterrent. Criminals do not want to be seen or recorded — that’s one of the main reasons why security cameras are effective. Not to mention that security camera footage is helpful to assist the police to identify thieves.
Do dogs deter burglars?
Dogs Deter (Some) Burglars
Burglars like to target homes with simple and undetectable entrances and exits. But, a dog can be the first line of defense by making your home undesirable. An Idaho news station asked 86 burglars how they break in to homes and learned that most would avoid houses with loud, large dogs.
How do you scare off thieves?
Ex-burglars reveal 10 tips to stop your home being robbed this summer
- Keep on top of the gardening.
- Put WD40 on your windowsills.
- Get motion-activated lights.
- Use a recording of a dog barking.
- Don’t leave keys visible from the windows.
- Get web-connected cameras inside and out.